Anthony’s Tour Of the Piracy Underground Part 2: Pirate Blogs

Anthony Damasco, E-Reads’ technical director and intrepid explorer of the e-underworld, has looked under some more rocks today and produced this report on the child’s-play ease with which anyone can pirate a book.  Then look upon his video and despair.

Richard Curtis

*******************************

One of the easiest way to get pirated software, e-books, and music is to simply search for the key word you are looking for while adding the word “wordpress” or “blogspot”.  WordPress and Blogspot are places were people can create blogs hosted online. It’s easy to register for one and if it gets taken down, another can pop right back up in its place.

Anthony? Afraid of pirates? We don't think so.

The same basic formula that I described in my first post applies here. Pirates can create a post with details of the file they are sharing and a non-hyper-linked URL to rapidshare, megaupload or any other file upload service. The motivation for a blogging pirate can be notoriety or generate ad revenue, but it might also be to sneak malicious software on your computer.

So let’s see if we can find an e-book! I’ve been meaning to pick up my guitar again, but I’m a little rusty. Let’s find “Guitar for Dummies”. The video is silent, so there’s nothing wrong with your audio.

Well that was hard! 44 seconds and I’m reading my new e-book. If I were the author of that book, I’d be pretty ticked off. I’d be even more upset when I discovered how hard it to slay the beast once it’s out of its cage.  I could send a takedown notice but the file would be on a different blog in no time, linking to a different upload website. (Look for our postings on takedown notices in the next couple of weeks.)

Let’s try an experiment. If you’re an author, publisher, or agent, search for a book you own. Add the word “blogspot” at the end and see what comes up. WARNING: If you plan to go further than search results, be sure to have some serious protection.

That’s all for this installment, be on the lookout for part 3 coming soon. To see Part 1 click here.

Anthony Damasco

7 Responses to Anthony’s Tour Of the Piracy Underground Part 2: Pirate Blogs

1. Rowena Cherry says:

I hope, Richard, that you are sharing this link with the Senators who are contemplating COICA!

2. Steve Boyett says:

@tony–
    Try using “torrent” with your keywords instead. Just saying. :)

@Rowena–
    Soon after 9/11 some American tourists visiting a mall in Israel were asked how they felt about being in a mall with such tight security, guards with machine guns, etc. They said it didnt’ bother them because they felt safe, and they wished the US would take such measures.

COICA might make you feel safe, but at what cost? Its establishment would directly contravene what the internet is all about. (See the Electronic Frontier Foundation [url=”https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/09/censorship-internet-takes-center-stage-online]article[/url].)

Larry Flynt said, “People like me are the price you pay for the First Amendment.” That notion will hold true for any internet that is not Draconian, and I’d rather have Larry Flynts and pirates than a Great Firewall of Amerika.

3. Rowena Cherry says:

Steve,

I agree with you that the first draft of COICA reminds me of the saying “Let no good crisis go to waste,” but I do feel that, as Richard pointed out, what happened in the UK was feeble.

I disagree with you that the devil we know is better than the devil we don’t know, because –unfortunately– pirates breed faster than Larry Flynt does.

ISPs and OSPs ought to be responsible for what is posted on their sites. If their business model relies upon, and profits from piracy, they ought to be legally accountable.

These people
    ought to be accountable for encouraging honest folk to rip off authors under the misapprehension that these books are legally “freely available”.

4. @Steve

Ahh, torrents is what my next post is about! Trying to start simple and work my way up.

I really enjoyed Elegy Beach BTW

5. Steve Boyett says:

The consumer end of any capitalistic society determines the price of the goods. The only exception is when those goods are tightly controlled under legislation, monopoly, or (to use a buzz word) conspiracy.

The fact is that the model itself is changing, and throwing law at it won’t wish it back into the cornfield. So the way for forward-thinking individuals to thrive is to capitalize on the potential inherent in any new system.

The transition to an economy in which freely produceable, reproduceable, transmittable, and alterable information itself is a product is fundamental and huge. Such change has never happened without casualties, and usual those casualties are those who feel the status quo is axiomatic, and that their particular moment of capitalization is something to which the universe has entitled them. The universe has always clearly had other plans.

6. Steve Boyett says:

@Anthony–

Thank you so much!

7. Rowena Cherry says:

Interesting discussion among pirates about the infuriating habits of hosting sites.